Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Does This Describe You?

I like this video by Kathy Schrock (you’ll need to use the filter override to watch if you are at school). It describes us adults as “digital pioneers” as opposed to the term that’s been tossed around a bit more: “digital immigrant”. The “digital pioneer” term more accurately describes the staff here at Euclid Middle School. And I’m proud to see how it plays out each day in your classrooms. Now that this term has been pointed out to me I find the term “immigrant” somewhat debilitating. I like “pioneer” so much better! (Other words that come to mind all with “digital” tacked on in front are “journeyman”, “coach”, “guru”, “teacher”, “professional”).
 
It’s a short video that you’ll enjoy. Also in case it didn’t dawn on you I am pretty sure the animated sequence is from Second Life – a free virtual world – that this person has created a character, log cabin and pioneer environment in. Could you imagine a digital version of Euclid Middle School made in a virtual space where you could meet with your students – all on computer? That aside, I think the animated video is pretty awesome for an old immigrant turned pioneer – thanks Kathy Schrock!
 

3 comments:

  1. Could you create a Euclid Middle School virtual world on second life and keep it 'safe'?

    Is there an educators' mode in second life similar to the secure space in wikispaces?
    gh

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was typing up this post I had this scary thought of trying to create a Euclid Middle School in teen life (safe place). Figures GH would ask!

    It's been a few years since I looked at second life, but now I have a Mac that can handle the processor load so I might pick this back up at home (since 2nd life is blocked at school currently).

    Not sure about SL pricing and other stuff, but it would be cool to give it a try and see how things turn out - of course if it's blocked (Teen Life) then that would be a bigger problem to overcome with the filtering committee - of which I am a member. Rambling on now, so I'll just stop and see where this goes inside my head...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched the video and thought she had great points, then looked back at your post, Mason, and thought - "YIKES, I wonder if Euclid could pull that off..." Not surprised you two are already thinking about that. :)

    ReplyDelete